Especially when using a fast SSD as the main harddisk, it makes sense to spin down a secondary (larger) harddisk which is seldom used.
First of all you have to know which drive is mapped to the /dev directory. E.g. you can use the program gparted to show you the relevant /dev drive.
To spin down a hard disk into standby mode use this command in the terminal application (in this case the drive is “sdb”):
sudo hdparm -y /dev/sdb
To start your computer with the secondary drive in standby mode just add the described command to the file /etc/rc.local.
In that file you can also define an automatic spin down time – e.g.
hdparm -S 120 /dev/sdb
The parameter 120 is nonlinear, so experiment with the number until it fits your needs.
hdparm – Ubuntu manuals
sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd && sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6
- Download the printer driver files LPR printer driver (deb package) and the CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package) from the Brother website:
sudo dpkg -i --force-all hl3040cnlpr* && sudo dpkg -i --force-all hl3040cncups*
- Switch the printer on. It appears in the printers overview. However you might have to add a new printer– e.g. as a network printer.
- For the new added printer choose Provide PPD file as printer driver. Add the following file: /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/brother_hl3040cn_printer_en.ppd
- Optional: Delete the printer without the green check in the printer manager.
Reference: Solved: Brother HL-3040CN Won’t Print
- Remove the STA Driver
- sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
Optional: activate wireless with the key combination FN+WIRELESS
Tested on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Precise Pangolin (working). (2012-08-02)
- Be sure that the scanner is switched off and that the USB cable is disconnected from the pc.
- Fill in the survey of the EPSON website http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
- Download the file iscan-data_1.13.0-1_all.deb
- Download the two deb files (32bit or 64bit) package [libltdl7] (for Ubuntu 8.10 or later) – iscan_2 and iscan-plugin.
- Install the three files:
sudo dpkg -i iscan-data*.deb
sudo dpkg -i iscan_2*.deb
sudo dpkg -i iscan-plugin*.deb
- Connect the USB cable of the scanner with the pc and switch the scanner on.You can now start the scanning applications XSane or Image Scan!
Comment by Peter: (December 2012)
You need all three of these:
for Precise Pangolin 64bit.